Wednesday 8 August 2012

My Hospital Story - Part Three

Today it is already two whole months since my surgery and so high time that I completed my Hospital Story. It seems a bit odd to do so, when my recovery is going so well, but to me, the story seems unfinished otherwise.

Day Five - Day Three after surgery

It was all very well to arrive back on the main ward, but I'd had no opportunity to get out of bed and stand on my own legs, so I needed support initially even to get to the toilet (which, from my bed, was very close!).

It was very difficult to move about at all, as I was still attached to the pacing machine, which I wore in a small fabric bag around my neck. The attachments to the central line in my neck also got in the way constantly. Even having a wash was a major event because of these being in the way and, after my visit to the wash-room, I was completely shattered!

My iron levels were particularly low following my surgery so it was decided that I needed a transfusion of blood plus one of iron. That was done late in the afternoon, which restricted my movement even more, but gave me the opportunity for a good rest.

My appetite was starting to return, even though I still asked for a small portion at all meals, and I really enjoyed the food today.

Day Six - Day Four after surgery

I didn't sleep well during the night, as the ward was really warm and it was quite noisy.  I managed to wash, even though I was still finding it really difficult. The nurse changed my dressings and did an ECG, during which some junior doctors, who were visiting my neighbour, managed to pull the curtains around my bed right off the rail!

They scrambled around trying to hold up the curtains around me, unfortunately then managing to knock over my water jug and spill water all over the floor! The nurse was not amused, but all of us patients were hugging our chest cushions with laughter!

I had a further blood transfusion, which allowed me to have another good rest, and later on I also had a chest X-ray, which gave me a little trip in a wheelchair away from the ward.

Day Seven - Day Five after surgery

I had another awful night's sleep, eventually managing a few hours after listening to music on my ipod for a while. There was a more chilled atmosphere on the ward first thing, and I enjoyed my breakfast and chatted to the other patients.

At 11am the nurses started to prepare to take out my pacing wires - I had to have a full hour's bed rest after it and have my blood pressure monitored throughout. I was dreading this, as I thought it might be as awful as the drain removal, but it was over before I'd even noticed!

As that was going on, the team of doctors arrived to do their round. Everything has gone well with my surgery and it looks as if I can go home in another 4 days!

After that the nurses took out my central lines, which meant lying very flat and very still throughout and also for some time afterwards.

I had an ECHO appointment after lunch and after that my visitors arrived - it's all going on today, after the comparatively gentle start to the day! My mum helped me wash my hair, which has made me feel loads better.

I am also modelling some attractive green anti-embollism socks, which gave the ward a laugh - not what I need to be wearing when it is so warm, but still...

Day Eight - Day Six after surgery

Woke up to a really sunny and warm day - after getting weighed and having a cuppa with the other ladies, we all managed to go back to sleep until 7.50am, when the hunky French doctor appeared to brighten our day!

He definitely cheered up my day as he told me I might be going home as early as tomorrow!  He came in a good few times to the ward and even the nurses were flustered.

I had to have blood taken from my arm today, now that the delightful central line has been removed - it did have its benefits, after all!

I'm moving about a lot more today and walking regularly to get drinks, as well as to the most distant wash-rooms and to the day room to watch some TV.

I saw another of the doctors later today and he confirmed that if everything stays on track, then I can go home tomorrow as it is Day Seven after surgery!

Day Nine - Day Seven after surgery

I had confirmation by 10am that I'm going home today - I had a glorious shower and then the nurses arrived to take off all the dressings etc. I managed to put a bra on, which was a bit uncomfortable, but seems to hold everything together somehow!

There was no need to wait for any medication as I'm only taking painkillers and iron tablets and I have those already and the discharge letter is done - just need to wait for my lift.

Of course there was someone waiting for my bed, so I enjoyed my lunch and then packed everything up and, after saying my goodbyes, went off to the day room to wait for my husband.

My long-dreaded hospital stay was over and I have no idea why I was so worried. The whole team that looked after me, from registrars to nurses, from porters to surgeons, were totally first class and I couldn't fault them one bit.

*******

I was discharged at 2pm on Friday 15th June, exactly one week after my surgery had finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment