Tuesday 18 September 2012

Welcome to Energy Central!

The one thing I was told over and over before my operation by many people who'd had their pulmonary valve replaced was that I would have so much more energy following the surgery.

During the first couple of months of my recovery I didn't find this to be true - yes, I felt different and better, but in a way that was hard to define. However, in the last couple of weeks, since my return to work, the energy levels have returned!

I stared back to work on 5th September with a phased return, so only this week have I worked my usual hours. I feel that I have coped really well  - I've enjoyed being part of the hectic fundraising team once again. I was a bit worried that I would be so tired that I'd have to spend the rest of the day in bed, but, strangely, it has been quite different.

I seem to have energy levels like never before - or certainly that I have not had for many years!

After work, I often go for a walk instead of sitting relaxing...I don't mean I am over-doing it, just that in addition to physical energy, it seems also to be increased mental energy and the desire to be active, rather than just to sit about.

I've re-arranged the household chores - doing more frequent, but smaller, loads of washing, leading to shorter and more frequent bouts of ironing. In addition, instead of going grocery shopping just once a week, as I used to prior to the operation, I now go at least three times a week. This means that the trolley is not as heavy to push around and that the bags are fewer and lighter to carry.

In addition to walking, I am also using the much-neglected exercise bike that has mainly been used as a clothes horse in recent years and I hope to start swimming again soon.

I had forgotten how much I love to exercise - I've always done aerobics classes, and in recent years, I've enjoyed my yoga class.

I'm not sure, though, that I will go back to either as I feel like trying something new...watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment